You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CoD4X 1.8
04-16-2019, 01:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2019 05:40 PM by baka.zero.)
CoD4X 1.8
Hello zA, I meant to post about this a while back but have been putting it off so prepare yourselves for a wall of text! I apologize in advance if this is too much.
I'm just trying to explain in the most detail possible...

I have an idea for you all that I'd like you to think about and consider. Currently, the CoD4 DOM server runs server version CoD4X 1.7a that has been modified by
me to fix various hacks and exploits. However, as you know, it's still not the greatest.

I'd like to transition this server over to CoD4X 1.8. This should not be confused with the official 1.8 that Steam pushed awhile back that basically crippled the game.
This update provides several bug fixes and patches even more exploits a lot better then I have done. It also extends the functionality of the server so many things can
be added or changed to spice things up for players who want to see a change of pace. There are trade offs that will have to be made, but first let me show you what
the update provides and keep in mind... Many of these things are options.

Here is a list of the main things the CoD4X 1.8 server and server side scripting has to offer.
  • The old GUID system is replaced by a new system that can authenticate players in two different ways.
    The first method utilizes Steam to assign a player an ID. This works whether or not you own the game through Steam. As long as Steam is running, authentication
    will be pulled from there. The second method happens if someone chooses not to have Steam running. An ID will then be assigned to a player based on the
    hardware in their system. Both of these authentication methods would greatly reduce the amount of players who bypass bans.
  • Many current cheats in the wild right now simply will not work and will have been patched. In addition, hacks that grant no recoil will supposedly not work.
  • Admins can have the ability to make themselves incognito while in spectate. This essentially makes your name invisible to the server. You become visible if you join a team.
  • Ability to get a screen shot from a player. This is very similar to a feature PunkBuster had years ago. It essentially sends a screen capture of what the player is seeing to
    the server. This is mainly useful for detecting people who have a wallhack.
  • B3 commands can be hidden from chat for admins. This means a suspected cheater will not know if an admin is pulling information on them.
  • Ability to see player FPS and other information while spectating them. This would shed light on why some people appear to be lagging.
  • Extended server commands such as $fov. A command that allows players to toggle FOV from default up to Promod levels.
  • Player name length increased from 15 characters up to 32. Very minor, but people won't have to abbreviate their names as much if they want to add a tag of some sort.

These are many of the gameplay tweaks are possible with CoD4X 1.8.
  • Option to show a nice message on the screen when a player connects.
    This could be used to show certain rules or just the website.
  • Option for spawn protection of 1 - 10 seconds.
    You can't shoot until the timer runs out or you move a certain distance.
  • Option to remove mounted machine guns from maps.
  • Option to remove sniper scope sway like it is in Promod.
    This essentially means everyone gets a free permanent Iron Lungs perk.
  • Option for more realistic reload.
    This means reloading early discards the remaining ammo to the ground instead of adding back to your pool.
  • Option to prevent rapid fire and quick shot binding.
    This really shouldn't affect as many people as it sounds.
    Rapid fire means 20 times in a single second.
    For those who have seen me rapid fire, I can't go over around 15.
    Quick shot binding really only affects the M40A3, R700, and W1200 and still needs a little bit of testing.
  • Options to control hitmarkers.
    You can always see them, never see them, or only see them if NOT through walls.
    I personally love the idea to not know if your hitting someone behind a wall.
    People who know me, know I shoot a lot of walls. A hitmarker is basically a free mini wallhack to me, lol. Strip that from me please, xD
  • Option to disable shooting through walls completely.
    Essentially means wallbangs are not possible.
  • Option for a visually different killcam and final killcam.
  • Option for an end of round map voting instead of a rotation.
    3 - 8 map choices and ones voted have a 0 - 10 round cooldown period to prevent replaying too much.
    This option is great, in my opinion, as it will allow players to control the flow of the maps.
  • Option for a dynamic map rotation based on player count.
    IE 1-5 people Shipment/Killhouse, 6-14 people Strike/Crash, 15+ Pipeline/Overgrown.
    This doesn't mean something like Crash or Killhouse has to be excluded from the large player count pool.
  • Option for a completely new killstreak system with new options.
    More on this below.
  • Option to allow two helicopters up at the same time.
    One helicopter per team only.
  • Option to disable certain perks, weapons, or weapon attachments.

About the new kill stream system.

The new kill streak system adds many new weapon types at the players disposal and is no longer based around an actual kill streak but rather a currency system.
Players gain currency based on how kills are made. Normal kills are worth a set amount of points, but kills made by knife or headshot are worth more. Points accumulated
can then be used to buy something. The stock ones such as UAV, air strike, and helicopter are still there. In addition, there are also things such as a piloted helicopter,
AC130 gun ship, and a TV controlled hellfire missile. There's even a counter measure anti air support choice to help your team shoot these things down. These points
persist through death so you can essentially save your points for whatever you want through out the game. Because of this, no one will have to worry about accidentally
skipping a kill streak. It will also allow skilled players to keep providing things for their team and, at the same time, allow lower skilled players to save up for things they
may not normally be able to attain easily.

And now for the negatives.
With all that having been said, your probably wondering what the catch is. Well, sadly, yes there are a few trade offs and sacrifices that have to be made to have these features.

First and most notable, everyone will be forced to download the CoD4X 1.8 client in order to connect to the server. Like I said above, this is not to be confused with the official
Steam 1.8 version that crippled the game. The CoD4X 1.8 client is actually backwards compatible with any 1.7 or 1.7a server. The only real issue with this client is it's Windows only,
which essentially means Mac users will not be able to play.

Second, because the GUID system is completely replaced with a new system that utilizes Steam or hardware IDs, the entire B3 database will have to be wiped and remade. This
essentially means all bans, chat logs, xlrstats, etc will be erased. This will also render Echelon unusable until it's fixed up to work with the new system. I know that sounds a little
extreme, but this isn't the first time we've done a database wipe. Honestly with the ability to prevent 20+ database ID's from the same person bypassing bans constantly, I feel that
alone makes it worth it.

Well I think that about wraps up everything. If you made it this far, thanks for reading, xD.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2019, 04:57 AM
RE: CoD4X 1.8
I vote against it simply because Im a mac user and dont own or plan to own a windows machine.
04-16-2019, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2019 07:52 AM by SteveEH.)
"An ID will then be assigned to a player based on the hardware in their system. Both of these authentication methods would greatly reduce the amount of players who bypass bans." Does this mean that if someone has the exact hardware as me and they get banned, also means that I am banned?
"Admins can have the ability to make themselves incognito while in spectate. This essentially makes your name invisible to the server. You become visible if you join a team." Can I has?
"B3 commands can be hidden from chat for admins. This means a suspected cheater will not know if an admin is pulling information on them." This is good.
"Ability to see player FPS and other information while spectating them. This would shed light on why some people appear to be lagging." So now all the players running 300 will be called hackers/cheaters and be kicked, lmao
"Extended server commands such as $fov. A command that allows players to toggle FOV from default up to Promod levels." PROMOD FOV?!?!?! WHAT
"Option for spawn protection of 1 - 10 seconds" I would turn this off, and not because Im an amazing player and can spawn kill, because it's not gonna be CoD anymore and will ruin the experience for a lot of people.
"Option to remove mounted machine guns from maps." YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS
"Option to remove sniper scope sway like it is in Promod." this would be sick
"Option for more realistic reload" Nope.
"Options to control hitmarkers." I like this. I would like it on all the time, but wont make a difference to me.
"Option to disable shooting through walls completely." fuck that.
"Option for an end of round map voting instead of a rotation." this is actually a good idea.
"Option for a dynamic map rotation based on player count." nah.
"Option for a completely new killstreak system with new options." Can we disable killstreaks? I would disable airstrike and helicopter for myself since I hate trying to use them with everyone else.

Otherwise, I like the updates/choices.
04-16-2019, 08:44 AM
(04-16-2019 04:57 AM)Yomamma Wrote:  I vote against it simply because Im a mac user and dont own or plan to own a windows machine.

I think this is the biggest issue with upgrading the server to 1.8x. How many of the regulars, and non regulars, play on OSX? How will that lose of people affect the average server population.
04-16-2019, 09:53 AM
Mac user here as well.
04-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Mac user here too
04-16-2019, 12:48 PM
(04-16-2019 07:46 AM)SteveEH Wrote:  "An ID will then be assigned to a player based on the hardware in their system. Both of these authentication methods would greatly reduce the amount of players who bypass bans." Does this mean that if someone has the exact hardware as me and they get banned, also means that I am banned?

@SteveEH Reposting from Discord in case someone else wonders... It goes much deeper then that. You can have a hundred computers that have the exact same hardware in them and they will still have a different hardware ID. The idea is similar to how Windows 10 can activate without needing to reenter a key after a reformat.

It is unfortunate about Mac users and it's honestly the main reason why this update probably won't happen. However, there has been so much talk about this for quite awhile and I wanted to clear it up for anyone who wanted to know what it was and what it had to offer as well as the negatives. Nothing hidden, all out in the open. Everything that is an option does not necessarily have to happen. The server could essentially be the exact same as it is with just the better security. But, unfortunately, the creator of CoD4X does not seem to want to do a Mac client.
04-16-2019, 02:53 PM
(04-16-2019 01:55 AM)baka.zero Wrote:  The second method happens if someone chooses not to have Steam running. An ID will then be assigned to a player based on the
hardware in their system. Both of these authentication methods would greatly reduce the amount of players who bypass bans.

Out of every thing included this is what is needed the most!

[Image: 1nv4.gif]

Players who are cry babies make my job fun Whistle

[Image: funny-gifs14.gif]
04-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Well here's an idea....
If the MAC users are gonna fuck it up for everyone else, I would just turn the TDM server into the cod4x dom server and leave the other one the way it is. This way they don't have to cry about not owning a gaming pc and not being able to still play.
It could be renamed ZA DOMINATION x2 or Double Domination.... or something catchy...
People will join. I'll probably frequent that server more. People WILL play.

This could make or break zA.

[Image: 76561197969340271.png]
04-16-2019, 08:04 PM
this sounds great and am excited for the future

[Image: 4870753.png]