You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windows 10
06-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Windows 10
What is your opinion about Windows 10 and would you recommend it for gaming?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2016, 01:42 PM
RE: Windows 10
I have had no problems with Windows 10. Only thing I did was disable all the crap Micro$oft add that could be spying on you.

[Image: 1nv4.gif]

Players who are cry babies make my job fun Whistle

[Image: funny-gifs14.gif]
06-10-2016, 01:49 PM
I currently run Windows 10 on my laptop and 7 on my desktop. The new UI of 10 is refreshing, since I've been using 7 for so long now, and it's supposedly a lot better performance wise. It's also very quick, but that's likely due to the fact that I did a clean install. As I'm sure you've heard there are quite a few privacy concerns with 10 though, since it has a lot of phone-home things on by default, but a lot of them can be turned off fairly easily if you don't like that sort of thing. As for gaming, I'd say go with 10, since it supports DX12, and a lot of future game will take advantage of that I'm sure. Basically, I think despite the initial hassle of setting everything up the way you want it to be, 10 is the better choice over 7.
06-10-2016, 03:01 PM
A LOT depends on your hardware!! It wouldn't run at all on my 5 year old desk top, or our 6 year old server (both have been re-built), so I had to go back to win7 on those. Three of our other desk tops would only work if I added RAM, and replaced the video cards. On the two year old laptop it ran fine.

Go slow and careful through the installation, and don't choose default for ANYTHING! It took me about 2 hours to complete the manual install, and disable all of the Microsoft "spyware".

Also be aware that this is the last full release ever, Microsoft will eventually make the OS a subscription service, where you will have to pay monthly or yearly to receive updates, and keep the OS functioning.

About time to look at open source....

Recon - Specops09
06-10-2016, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2016 05:00 PM by DanTheRipper.)
(06-10-2016 03:01 PM)specops09 Wrote:  A LOT depends on your hardware!! It wouldn't run at all on my 5 year old desk top, or our 6 year old server (both have been re-built), so I had to go back to win7 on those. Three of our other desk tops would only work if I added RAM, and replaced the video cards.

That's somewhat concerning, especially since my desktop is 4-5 years old, but I've also had friends that have installed it no problem on crappy Pentium processors, 4 gigs of ram, and very low end GPUs.

(06-10-2016 03:01 PM)specops09 Wrote:  Also be aware that this is the last full release ever, Microsoft will eventually make the OS a subscription service, where you will have to pay monthly or yearly to receive updates, and keep the OS functioning.

I know that Microsoft is sticking with the Windows 10 name and just releasing periodic updates (like Apple has stuck with OSX, but continues with Yosemite/El Capitan, etc), but I haven't heard anything about a monthly/yearly subscription service, and can't seem to find any info online about it. Do you have a source for that, or is that just the direction you see Microsoft going?
06-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Kim Komando reported the story about Microsoft migrating to a subscription based service, in her news letter. Microsoft, of course, will never confirm or deny...

Recon - Specops09