You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lego's and stuff
07-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Lego's and stuff
My lappy is running on 4 years. Just got the first game it couldn't handle. And with my study room almost done, I thought I would jump in head first into building my own PC. Only one little problem . . . I know ziltch. So after some googling and reading it came down to this ? What do you think ? I am trying to stay under R8000 (that is about $800).

Motherboard
MSI A75A-G55

CPU:
AMD FX-6300 Six-Core 3.5GHz AM3+ Processor

Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 270X

RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Hard drive
Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA3 Hard Drive

Power supply
Corsair-CX500 — 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Power Supply

Optical drive
Lite-On 24x CD/DVD Burner

Possible cases
Centurion 5 II
Silencio 652S
Silencio 650
CM 690 II Advanced

AEON a.k.a M

Brb Brb Brb
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2014, 04:50 PM
RE: Lego's and stuff
I have the same cpu and ram and they work great =) I've also seen benchmarks for the 270x and that is a fantastic card for the money. I'd say just make sure everything is compatible with each other and go for it. There are videos on youtube specifically for AMD gaming rigs so you should be able to just copy what they do and be fine.
Also, I would recommend spending a little more money on a modular power supply unless you want to deal with a crap ton of wires.. it's especially bad for me because I have a tiny case and nowhere to put all the wires! Good luck Aeon!

[Image: 76561198046400577.png]
07-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Only recommendation I have would be to up the RAM to at least 8GB. You can get away with 4GB but as time goes on you will be better off with 8+

Not mandatory but I highly recommend it.
07-16-2014, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2014 07:36 AM by lilkiduno.)
I love coming back and seeing build threads. Big Grin

First off the Motherboard you listed is a FM1 socket and the Processor is a AM3+ socket.... That's a no go!

I would personally pick the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced out of the cases you posted. I feel it has the best/most features and great wire management. I maybe bias because I had one and loved it.

Great job choosing a Corsair power supply. You DO NOT Want to go cheap here and get some crummy pos that can't handle a basic load. Although personally I am of the bigger is better mentality and probably would move to the 650 watt unit. Modular is nice for PSU's but not a must. I have one and love it, it cuts down on wire mess, but if you take some time and run wires behind the motherboard tray you can hide a large amount of the unused wires without hindering the airflow too badly.

The R9 270x is a decent card from what I understand, Have not really looked into GPU's as I have not had any wish to upgrade my card atm.

As David has mentioned DDR3 is dirt cheap right now I wouldn't hesitate at picking up 8 GB or more.

Computer: The M3H (Deathstar)
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3 | Intel Core i5-3570K | Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB( 2x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 Mhz (Ridgebacks) | Diamond 7970 | Corsair HX850 | OCZ Vertez III (120 GB) | Corsair H100i | Corsair Obsidian 850D
07-16-2014, 09:46 AM
(07-15-2014 05:53 PM)Z.E.R.O. Wrote:  Only recommendation I have would be to up the RAM to at least 8GB. You can get away with 4GB but as time goes on you will be better off with 8+

Not mandatory but I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah I didn't notice she said 4 gigs.. I have 8 gigs and it's plenty good for gaming. And I forgot I actually have THIS ram and not G.Skill. I found that Kingston ram for under 60 bucks and it works great(8gb of course).

[Image: 76561198046400577.png]
07-17-2014, 08:01 AM
(07-16-2014 07:36 AM)lilkiduno Wrote:  First off the Motherboard you listed is a FM1 socket and the Processor is a AM3+ socket.... That's a no go!

So the motherboard and CPU is not compatible ?

AEON a.k.a M

Brb Brb Brb
07-17-2014, 04:59 PM
(07-17-2014 08:01 AM)A-E-O-N Wrote:  
(07-16-2014 07:36 AM)lilkiduno Wrote:  First off the Motherboard you listed is a FM1 socket and the Processor is a AM3+ socket.... That's a no go!

that MOBO is meant for AMD APUs not CPUs but if you want a good budget MOBO for that cpu i could recommend a asus m5a97 r2.0 its a great budget board, i have one and am running a FX 6350 overclocked to 4.7GHz along with Dual HD 7870s Thumb-up

[Image: 1nv4.gif]

Players who are cry babies make my job fun Whistle

[Image: funny-gifs14.gif]
07-17-2014, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2014 07:47 AM by lilkiduno.)

No they are not. As Ben Dover pointed out the FM1 socket is the the first gen APU's, IIRC the second gen was FM2, and the processor is their CPU AM3+ socket designed for regular desktop applications.

As far as the motherboard selection goes I primarily stick to GIGABYTE. Never had an issue. I personally like the gigabyte 990fx ud3 I had in my and build. Really kinda wanting to go back to AMD from my intel build. Not even sure why I switched other than wanting to try out the pci-e 16x 3.0.... Meh nothing too dramatic.

Ben, just looked up that board and the thing I have never understood is why people crossfire gpu's when they are not going to both run the same speed. That board has one pci-e 16x running full 16x and the other pci-e 16x running at 4x. You could take the money spent on two lower Teir gpu's and buy a better gpu that you can run full speed on. <- I'm am an Id10t sometimes

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3 | Intel Core i5-3570K | Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB( 2x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 Mhz (Ridgebacks) | Diamond 7970 | Corsair HX850 | OCZ Vertez III (120 GB) | Corsair H100i | Corsair Obsidian 850D
07-18-2014, 07:20 AM
(07-17-2014 09:18 PM)lilkiduno Wrote:  

No they are not. As Ben Dover pointed out the FM1 socket is the the first gen APU's, IIRC the second gen was FM2, and the processor is their CPU AM3+ socket designed for regular desktop applications.

As far as the motherboard selection goes I primarily stick to GIGABYTE. Never had an issue. I personally like the gigabyte 990fx ud3 I had in my and build. Really kinda wanting to go back to AMD from my intel build. Not even sure why I switched other than wanting to try out the pci-e 16x 3.0.... Meh nothing too dramatic.

Ben, just looked up that board and the thing I have never understood is why people crossfire gpu's when they are not going to both run the same speed. That board has one pci-e 16x running full 16x and the other pci-e 16x running at 4x. You could take the money spent on two lower Teir gpu's and buy a better gpu that you can run full speed on.

Why does every one say something about running dual cards with 16/4... If i put on card in the 4x slot the performance is almost the same as a 16x slot.. then when you run xfire you get anywhere from a 50% boost to 90% over one card. I ran heaven bench marks on the same setting with Xfire enabled and disabled and this is the results, im not saying you have no clue what your talking about, but please do a little more research next time, Also i got both of the 7870s for $225 from my friend so no matter what i could not say no!

[Image: GNByqAH.png]

[Image: 1nv4.gif]

Players who are cry babies make my job fun Whistle

[Image: funny-gifs14.gif]
07-21-2014, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2014 07:48 AM by lilkiduno.)
(07-18-2014 07:20 AM)Ben Dover Wrote:  
(07-17-2014 09:18 PM)lilkiduno Wrote:  

Ben, just looked up that board and the thing I have never understood is why people crossfire gpu's when they are not going to both run the same speed. That board has one pci-e 16x running full 16x and the other pci-e 16x running at 4x. You could take the money spent on two lower Teir gpu's and buy a better gpu that you can run full speed on.

Why does every one say something about running dual cards with 16/4... If i put on card in the 4x slot the performance is almost the same as a 16x slot.. then when you run xfire you get anywhere from a 50% boost to 90% over one card. I ran heaven bench marks on the same setting with Xfire enabled and disabled and this is the results, im not saying you have no clue what your talking about, but please do a little more research next time, Also i got both of the 7870s for $225 from my friend so no matter what i could not say no!

You sir are correct. After reading this reply I did a bit more research on this topic. When I got started in computers early 2006 IIRC everywhere I read stated if you wanted to SLi/Xfire then you wanted 16x,16x. My first experience in SLi was on the 780i FTW mobo. Still have that rig, it's just not in use anymore.

Thank you for that BTW. It's another thing to put in the ol' data bank!