You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SSD vs HDD
01-07-2014, 09:07 PM
SSD vs HDD
Was talking to a few ppl earlier and this subject came up. I know there are always two sides to any coin but the only noticeable difference in gaming applications seems to be load / save times. As far as in game performance (FPS) there doesn't seem to be any real reason to drop the extra cheddar on the SSD.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/1...rformance/

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showt...p?t=665685

[Image: Untitled-1.jpg]
[Image: b_560x95.png]
[Image: 76561197989222112.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 09:14 PM
RE: SSD vs HDD
Yeah, the frames should be the same, but the loading times would decrease immensely. I was thinking about buying an ssd and just putting my operating system on there, maybe some of my games that have long loading screens. I saw some really good deals for 120 gig ssd's during black friday week and I was sooo tempted. That's next on my list after upgrading gpu's :-)

[Image: 76561198046400577.png]
01-07-2014, 09:16 PM
(01-07-2014 09:14 PM)LPaton Wrote:  Yeah, the frames should be the same, but the loading times would decrease immensely. I was thinking about buying an ssd and just putting my operating system on there, maybe some of my games that have long loading screens. I saw some really good deals for 120 gig ssd's during black friday week and I was sooo tempted. That's next on my list after upgrading gpu's :-)

Damnit now my human nature kicked in and I want one just because YOU want one. whatfukndik.org

01-08-2014, 12:12 AM
I'm sorry Icarus but I have to express my inner, "nerd"...

You are indeed correct. The only difference, in most cases, will be load time reduction with an SSD.

But here's a little insight on why though...

The reason why there is little to no performance gain, in terms of real time game play, is because most games reside in memory once loaded. Meaning after you load a map, in CoD4 for example, the HDD/SDD does little to nothing until the next map is needed to be loaded. The game play itself is just data being manipulated in the RAM and the VRAM by the CPU and GPU respectively.

The only games that do see some sort of real time performance gain are ones that utilize some sort of streaming technology. Games like RAGE, GTAIV, and most UT3 engine based ones use something called texture streaming. Texture streaming literally means loading textures from a drive on demand rather than loading all into memory at once. This means that you'll see textures sort of, "pop" in and out when your move or turn in the game. This kind of thing was created with the limited memory of consoles in mind. But an SSD could show a noticeable impact on the, "pop" effect. Which basically just means textures will be blurry for a shorter amount of time.

I apologize if I seem vague or confusing, lol. Been awake for too long and need to get to sleep, xD.
01-08-2014, 08:41 AM
(01-08-2014 12:12 AM)DavidJS Wrote:  I'm sorry Icarus but I have to express my inner, "nerd"...

You are indeed correct. The only difference, in most cases, will be load time reduction with an SSD.

The reason why there is little to no performance gain, in terms of real time game play, is because most games reside in memory once loaded. Meaning after you load a map, in CoD4 for example, the HDD/SDD does little to nothing until the next map is needed to be loaded. The game play itself is just data being manipulated in the RAM and the VRAM by the CPU and GPU respectively.

The only games that do see some sort of real time performance gain are ones that utilize some sort of streaming technology. Games like RAGE, GTAIV, and most UT3 engine based ones use something called texture streaming. Texture streaming literally means loading textures from a drive on demand rather than loading all into memory at once. This means that you'll see textures sort of, "pop" in and out when your move or turn in the game. This kind of thing was created with the limited memory of consoles in mind. But an SSD could show a noticeable impact on the, "pop" effect. Which basically just means textures will be blurry for a shorter amount of time.

I apologize if I seem vague or confusing, lol. Been awake for too long and need to get to sleep, xD.

I think you pretty much nailed it there David.

To increase your FPS then you need more processing power to do so. The SSD is a faster storage devise that does nothing more than store and retrieve data.

Computer: The MEH
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3-Intel Core i5-3570K-Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB( 2x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 Mhz (Ridgebacks)- Diamond 7970- Corsair HX850- OCZ Vertez III (120 GB)- Corsair H100- Corsair Obsidian 850D
01-08-2014, 03:11 PM
SSDs are great for your OS, but if you're doing some serious read/write stuff then stick with high quality HDDs for now. Not only are the HDDs cheaper, but they will last longer too because frequent read/writes can mess up a SSD. David and Lilkid are baus Big Grin

"A witty saying proves nothing"

-Voltaire

[Image: wPwWj.gif]
01-08-2014, 07:52 PM
(01-08-2014 12:12 AM)DavidJS Wrote:  I'm sorry Icarus but I have to express my inner, "nerd"...

Made perfect sense. Big Grin

01-10-2014, 11:10 PM
(01-08-2014 07:52 PM)Icarus Wrote:  

Made perfect sense. Big Grin

xD I used to put computers together on tigerdirect, or newegg, and I too would ask the same question. Like Paton said, putting the OS and the big ass games on the SSD would be nice and then everything else on your HDD. My friends dad (Pro technician in computer shit xD) started talking to me about hard drives and shit, and I asked him; SSD, or HDD. He said that the SSD has less space, but more power (obviously) and the HDD usually has more space, But if you get a 10000 rpm HDD, your pretty much set, although those fuckers are like $1000 a piece. Jeez

[Image: 15xoo6c.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2014, 11:39 AM
I as they said it would not increase game performance, but using one as you OS drive is great! I have a 120 GB Samsung 840 evo as my boot drive, and have 23 GB worth of files on it and, but then have a 1TB HDD with 350 GB of files on it.