You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I now know why computer repair shops charge so much money(Parents Computer)
08-16-2011, 03:43 PM
RE: I now know why computer repair shops charge so much money(Parents Computer)
such a small heatsink for a quad core!! and the case design is all jacked up.. lol

[zeroalpha.us]

[Image: tumblr_lp6x0rjdgg1qc99rq.gif]
"Guys like us don't change. We either stay sharp or we get sloppy, we don't change."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Well come on driz. It's an hp. Do you really expect quality?!?!? They take the lowest grade parts slap them together boot it out the door with a ~40% mark up and the whole pre-built market dose that so to the average consumer this looks to be a great deal. Mean while if you built one with the same type of parts your looking at spending less and getting better quality parts. That's why it pays off knowing tech or having tech friends.

Computer: The MEH
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3-Intel Core i5-3570K-Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB( 2x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 Mhz (Ridgebacks)- Diamond 7970- Corsair HX850- OCZ Vertez III (120 GB)- Corsair H100- Corsair Obsidian 850D
Find all posts by this user
08-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Of course I realize it's a piece of shit, now. I didn't know that when we bought it 3 or 4 years ago at Best Buy. I didn't know anything about computers then. My parents and brother don't care about the performance of it either.
08-16-2011, 06:50 PM
No, I know the situation. But what I am stating is that it is expected that the hardware is of low quality. What all are you really trying to do with the HP? just take the wireless card and tv tuner with keeping the hp running? If you take the wireless card is there a wired nic built into the mobo? If not are you going to put in a nic?

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3-Intel Core i5-3570K-Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB( 2x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 Mhz (Ridgebacks)- Diamond 7970- Corsair HX850- OCZ Vertez III (120 GB)- Corsair H100- Corsair Obsidian 850D
08-16-2011, 07:26 PM
I took it apart this morning and took pics but all the pics got deleted when I switched phones. I had to pull the top of the case off as well as the front panel to remove the antenna's (or what I assume are antenna's) soldered to the wireless PCIe x1 card.

I ended up removing the wireless card and the TV tuner, but could only install one of them, as the other PCIe slot on my mobo is blocked by the GPU's heatsink fans.

I don't know what you mean by "the nic" but I popped the wireless card in, booted up and had full access to my wireless router with a full connection. I ghetto-rigged the antenna's on to one of the HDD cases.

[Image: IMAG0002.jpg]
08-17-2011, 02:03 AM
I think you're forgetting something. In 5 years, when that computer finally dies- your parents will still blame you for it.
08-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Nic- network interface card. The wireless card dose the hp have a wired network port on the motherboard?

08-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Phantom, they won't even realize the empty spaces on the back of the computer, let alone notice that I was the one who took something out.

Kid, are you talking about an ethernet port? If so, then, of course.