You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I now know why computer repair shops charge so much money(Parents Computer)
08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I now know why computer repair shops charge so much money(Parents Computer)
So I decided to open up my family's HP that we bought from Best Buy. The thing is a fucking mess inside. I imagine most factory built PC's are probably comparable.

I would take someone that was well-trained, an hour to take this fucker apart. My initial hope was to remove the WiFi card and the TV tuner and put it in my computer, as that shit will never be needed/used in the family computer.

I couldn't even see where the PCIe cards were even bolted to the case. I could tell the GPU and TV Tuner were in there, but couldn't tell, through the mess of wires, if there was a WiFi card or if it's built in to MOBO.

I'm scared to unplug anything because I would be fucking dead if some thing went wrong Lol . The cage you see is meant for only a special brand of HP External HDD's and the connection is something I've never seen before.

As for the PSU cables, they're just a clusterfuck. None of them are individually bound together and the last person to work on it just connected everything and threw a zip tie on that bitch. They installed a new HDD, because at the time I didn't know shit about computers. After installing the new HDD, the idiots failed to recognize the 6GB RAM installed and installed 32 Bit Windows Vista--still on it--only recognizes 3GB.

Anyways, I really, really, really wanna rip the thing apart. The TV tuner is about as legit as TV tuners get (WinTV HVR-1800)

[Image: IMAG0312.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2011, 06:49 PM
RE: I now know why computer repair shops charge so much money(Parents Computer)
Come on, be man, just start ripping stuff out of it :-) I've built about 5 computers and there isn't much to it. The picture is blurry but from what I can see it only looks as if there are 2 PCI cards. Are you sure that one of those cards is a GPU. Most off the shelf non-gaming PC's come with built-in on motherboard graphics like an integrated Intel, ATI, or Nvidia. Also are you certain that this desktop has wireless? Not trying to be a smart-ass just trying to get all the facts. As with the GPU it's rare for desktops to come with a wireless card. My guess is this doesnt have one unless you installed a third-party card after your original purchase. If it does have a wireless adapter PCI card there should be an antenna of some sort.

As for how the cards are secure to the case most newer cases have plastic clips that latch the cards in. Theses clips are accessible from the outside back of the case. Older style cases may have screws hold the cards secure.

Hope some of this helps. To be of more help give me the exact model number of the desktop and I can tell you more.

Peace
08-15-2011, 06:50 PM
dude.. id have this thing apart in 6 minutes or less.. those 2 cards in there.. one is the tuner and one is the wifi.. if the pic wasnt distorted i could tell you exactly which one.. now.. take a better picture from the back and a more detailed picture from this side.

[zeroalpha.us]

[Image: tumblr_lp6x0rjdgg1qc99rq.gif]
"Guys like us don't change. We either stay sharp or we get sloppy, we don't change."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-15-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm hesitant unplugging some of those foreign looking wires.

The blue looking box on lower of the two visible cards is, in fact the GPU. It's an Nvidia 9500GS, only available in pre-built systems. The one that's visible above that is the tuner. There's definitely a wireless card in there...

Here's a link to the exact specs.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...40326#N344
08-15-2011, 07:08 PM
I suggest you jus rip everything out 8D
Find all posts by this user
08-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Clearer pictures...The wireless card is definitely in between the tuner and the GPU.

This is what I've been able to gather from sitting on the floor with it. The real fun will start tomorrow when I'll wake up early, parents will be gone for work, brother (Hambone) will still be asleep and won't bitch about having to use it... Pretty sad, I know.

[Image: IMAG0322.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0319.jpg]
08-15-2011, 08:48 PM
I'll most definitely be going to town on it tomorrow. I'll take/post pictures.

It should actually HELP their computer because I opened it up today while it was running and that fucker is hot as shit. There's definitely not enough air flow. And that GPU's heatsink is absolutely pathetic. It's the lowest card and the heatsink is the small blue rectangular thing on top of it. Silly Nvidia!
08-16-2011, 07:08 AM
i did the same thing with my mom's computer, but once i started taking it out of that case i started to put it into a better case an had better air flow.
08-16-2011, 07:08 AM
i did the same thing with my mom's computer, but once i started taking it out of that case i started to put it into a better case an had better air flow.
08-16-2011, 11:24 AM
well between the HIPRO PSU and the birds nest of those cables.... I am suprised you havn't seen a cloud of magical blue smoke out of the back. To help that computer out with heat the first thing I would say is to order in a cheap rosewill case something with more than 1x80mm case fan to move heat with space to try and hide a few unused wires. Also try to find a deal on a PSU something small I bet it only has ~300watts in there now. Newegg has the Corsair system builder series on sale right now. just those two little things will help that PC a LOT!

Computer: The MEH
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3-Intel Core i5-3570K-Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB( 2x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 Mhz (Ridgebacks)- Diamond 7970- Corsair HX850- OCZ Vertez III (120 GB)- Corsair H100- Corsair Obsidian 850D
Find all posts by this user